Sunday, November 14, 2010

James Corbett - sculptor

Auto Parts Art - Clever people everywhere but this is an Australian with an eye for the unusual!

These items below were all fabricated from junked 1950 and 1960 automobile parts by a gentleman in Australia.

Check out all the Spark Plugs!

James Corbett uses remnants of old cars of the 1950s and ’60s.


This is the man that converts scrapped parts of cars into sculptures worth thousands of dollars. The 46-year-old Australian artist James Corbett, creates these sculptures using salvaged old car parts.


One of the pieces, a ram made from spark plugs, sold for a whopping $23,000



His sculptures are made of gears, spark plugs, exhausts, radiators, anything that the artist can salvage.


After spending weeks dedicated to locate suitable pieces, James meticulously cleans every part and welds them together.


He said: “I was working in a warehouse of scrap and a guy I know, that races stock cars, showed me a Trophy winner, ‘Fact with levers of change.’ I looked at it and I thought that I could do a much better job so I started making my own sculptures.”



“After a period of time, people began to become more and more into what I was doing and now what do I with my life, is a dream come to reality.”



“On average, each piece takes a little over two weeks of work, but the larger pieces can take much longer,” he says.



Corbett lives in Ningi, Queensland, Australia with his wife Jodie.



Sculptures using pieces of old cars; the French and British cars are James’ favorites to retrieve.



James says that welding of the parts, and the construction of the sculpture is not what consumes most time of the artist.

“Often the longest part of the process is finding old parts suitable for sculpture.”



The sculptor is exhibiting his work in the Gallery of John Davies in Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire, England, until December 19.



“My two favorite pieces that I’ve created for this exhibition are the ram and the wild boar,” he says.


































http://www.jamescorbettart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment